Cargo insurance provides peace of mind
We are very focused on loss prevention to ensure that your goods have a safe journey from A to B. However, sometimes they can be damaged, stolen, or lost through events that are out of your or our control – this is where DB Schenker cargo insurance comes in.
We can quickly and easily arrange insurance for your shipments in most parts of the world. So your goods are covered for theft, loss, or damage while under our care.
What is insured?
Our cargo insurance covers you on an all-risks basis. Generally, this means that every risk not specifically excluded is insured. Some examples of what is covered:
- Loss of or damage to goods during loading onto or from a means of transport, or during trans-shipment to or from a means of transport
- Fire, lightning, explosions, and other natural disasters
- Strike or crashing of a flying object or parts thereof, including its cargo
What is not insured?
Like every insurance policy, certain risks and circumstances are excluded from coverage. For example:
- Improper and inadequate packaging or incorrect storage insofar as the insured acted willfully or with gross negligence
- Normal humidity or fluctuations of temperature
You get one invoice for the purchase of freight and insurance – at the same place and at the same time.
Efficient claims handling
Swift and efficient claims handling with global reach.
Compensation usually begins at EUR 0 based on the value of the insured goods.
Full-value compensation based on all-risks coverage.
Frequently asked questions
Insurance cover is provided from warehouse to warehouse and starts the moment the goods are removed from the place of storage for immediate transport.
The insurer also indemnifies general average contributions, e.g., in the case of a grounded vessel in a major port canal for which the cargo interests share the costs.
There are a few obligations to be met, depending on the terms and conditions. Some are listed here:
- Immediate premium payment upon conclusion of the insurance contract
- Notifying the shipments to (DB Schenker and from us to) the insurer in writing or by telephone prior to the commencement of the risk
- If a specific means of transport with which to convey the goods was not agreed, the customer shall – insofar as he is able to exercise any influence on the choice of such means – employ means of transport which are suitable for stowing and transporting the goods
If a carrier is found responsible for the loss or damage, they will be held accountable in accordance with the standard terms and conditions. These are referring to local legislation and international conventions like CMR, CIM or Montreal Convention, depending on the mode of transport and agreements between the freight forwarder and the shipper. Based on the conventions and/or agreements a limitation of liability can be applied which could result in the customer only getting compensated partly. If the carrier is not found liable, he might even be exempted from the liability completely.
To provide you with the best possible cargo insurance cover, we collaborate with top-ranked global insurance companies, such as AXA XL and AIG.
Whether and why take our cargo insurance
Download our informative brochure to see the potential financial benefits of taking out cargo insurance.
Our cargo insurance brochure
Download our informative brochure with general cargo insurance information.