For people and the planet
The climate change and sustainable development are central challenges to us, our partners and the global customers. Only together we are able to make a step towards the future of smart and sustainable logistics. So our 150th anniversary marks the launch of our first Sustainable Logistics Forum.
First year, first movement
In June 2022, we brought together customers, partners and industry experts from all over the world to discuss how to make the world of transportation and logistics more sustainable. We initiated this forum to go deeper into the topics related to climate change, sustainability and overall ESG challenges.
"Because this challenge cannot be solved alone, we have initiated our first Sustainable Logistics Forum."
Welcome by DB Schenker
Dr. Rainer Kiefer
How can politics set a framework to transform the transport and logistics industry?
Dr. Harmut Höppner (State Secretary at the Federal Ministry for Digital and Transport, Germany) on behalf of Dr. Volker Wissing (Federal Minister for Digital and Transport, Germany)
The path to achieve your carbon target: you get what you measure
Dr. Josué C. Velázquez Martínez (MIT Sustainable Supply Chain Lab)
How sustainability is driving transformation of supply chain management in organizations
Dr. Osvald Bjelland (XYNTEO)
Victoria Guy (SHELL), Melanie Tordjman (L’OREAL) and Uwe Peter (CISCO)
Climate change and its impact on worldwide supply chains
Soren Toft (MSC Mediterranean Shipping Company)
Entering a new normal – how will sustainability impact logistics in the future?
Dr. Matthias Ballweg (SYSTEMIQ)
Claire Martin (CMA CGM), Achim Martinka (LH GERMANY) and Matthias Maedge (IRU)
Closing by DB Schenker
Jochen Thewes (CEO DB SCHENKER)
Download the 2022 Agenda
SLF - Sustainable Logistics Forum 2022 Agenda
Experience the future of logistics
Get yourself some own impressions on our first Sustainable Logistics Forum and our ambitions for a cleaner planet. Be there next time – to create the future of logistics with us.
Vice President Germany and Global Accounts at Lufthansa Cargo since July 2019
- Joined LH Cargo in 2000 after 8 years at Decathlon Sports Company
- Held various leadership roles within the company: Regional Director France, BeNeLux and Switzerland; Vice President The Americas as well as Head of Project 'One Cargo' Lufthansa - Swiss
- Vice President of the Aircargo Club Deutschland between 2020 until 2022
- LH Cargo representative at BARIG Air Cargo & Logistics (Board of Airline Representatives in Germany) as of 2022
Company Spokeswoman for Deutsche Bahn AG
- Several positions at ARD: editor at the Tagesschau, foreign correspondent for ARD in Moscow, Beijing and New York
- Editor and anchor at ARD Morgenmagazin since 2016
- Studied journalism and political science at the University of Dortmund and American University Washington DC
- At Deutsche Bahn AG since January 2020
Vice President Sustainability at CMA CGM Group since May 2021
- Held several senior management positions in the automotive and public transportation industries and the position of COO at Renault Nissan Consulting
- Member of the Board at Fluigent and an Independent Board Member of the French Startup WeNow
- At CMA CGM Group since 2021
Chairman of the Board of Management of Schenker AG
- Jochen Thewes, CEO DB Schenker, is an internationally recognized supply chain and logistics expert, with more than 20 years of regional and global senior management experience
- He has successfully led DB Schenker since 2015, driving forward the company’s commitment to become a sustainability leader within the logistics industry
Josué Velázquez Martínez
Director Sustainable Supply Chain and LIFT research Labs at Massachusetts Institute of Technology
- Research Scientist, and Lecturer at the MIT Center for Transportation and Logistics
- Specialized in Logistics and Supply Chain Management in the transportation, manufacturing, and retail industries
- Holds an MSc in Manufacturing Systems and a PhD in Industrial Engineering
Matthias Ballweg, Dr.
Heads the Mobility and EU Policy departments at SYSTEMIQ since November 2019
- Chairman of the Alpenverein, 2nd largest sports club of Germany Held the position of Vice President Strategy at MAN Truck & Bus for several years
- Co-founder and Investor of a Munich based startup that developed an innovative learning and development software
- Started career in 2009 as a consultant at "McKinsey & Company"
- Holds a PhD from the Technical University Munich
Director of Advocacy for IRU since January 2020
- Responsible for IRU’s global advocacy work
- Previously served as General Delegate of the IRU Permanent Delegation to the EU, responsible for the commercial vehicle industry, including mobility and logistics
- Held various leadership positions in the vehicle and energy sector and eventually becoming Secretary General of the Natural Gas Vehicle Association (NGVA)
- Worked in the German Parliament (Bundestag) and served as a Research Associate to the Shadow Secretary for Education
Global Transportation Director at L'Oréal
- Started her career at L'Oréal in 1996 as a supply chain engineer several management positions: Manufacturing Supply Chain Manager, Operations Director in Italy, Project Management Director, Operations Director in France
- Holds corporate role as Global Transportation Director at L'Oréal since 2019
Osvald Bjelland, Dr.
Entrepreneur and founder of Xynteo and The Performance Theatre Foundation
- The Performance Theatre Foundation hosts an annual forum to inspire global leaders from a variety of disciplines and regions
- He has been a visiting Scholar at Stanford University and holds a PhD from the University of Leeds, UK and an MBA from Brunel University, UK and the Norwegian School of Management
Rainer Kiefer, Dr.
EVP Global Head of Sales of Schenker AG
- EVP Contract Logistics Global Commercials until 2018
- Previously CEO of the 4th largest German ecom player and consultant at "McKinsey & Company”
- Studied Economics and Statistics in Munich, Florence and London
- At DB Schenker since 2016
Chief Executive Officer at MSC since December 2020
- More than 25 years of experience within the shipping industry
- Held various leadership roles at A.P. Moller – Maersk, Executive Vice President Chief Operating Officer and Member of the Executive Board
- Executive MBA from the IMD in Lausanne, Switzerland
- At Deutsche Bahn AG since January 2020
General Manager Cisco Germany since January 2019
- Joined Cisco in 1999 and has held a number of positions in the organization including Director, Systems Engineering and Managing Director, German Enterprise Customers
- Uwe has also been a permanent member of the Board of Cisco Germany since 2005, where he has made a significant contribution towards Cisco Germany’s recognition as Best Employer and Great Place to work in 2019
- Prior to taking up this role at the beginning of 2019, Uwe led the Global Deutsche Telekom Account, Northern Europe and Benelux within EMEAR Service
Vice President – Downstream and Functions / Contracting and Procurement / Supply Chain at Shell
- Joined Shell in 1994 in Chemicals, with different Strategy and Portfolio roles in Chemicals, LPG and Shell Europe Oil Products Commercial and General Manager roles in LPG, Bitumen and Lubricants
- Between 2014 and 2018, COO for Shell Aviation responsible for the Centre of Expertise roles and global operations
- Since 2018, accountable for safe, cost competitive 3rd party spend across Downstream and Functions equating to US$ 21bln
- Leads Shell’s Supplier Excellence activities; is Chair of Board of the Heathrow Airport fuel infrastructure JVs and active in supporting and developing Commercial graduate talent in the UK
Volker Wissing, Dr.
Federal Minister for Digital and Transport, Germany, since December 2021
- Member of the German Bundestag from 2004 to 2013
- FDP state chairman and head of the parliamentary group
- Founded his own law firm in 2016
- Holding a PhD in law, he worked as a public prosecutor and judge at the Landau Regional Court in Rhineland-Palatinate
Mr. Hartmut Höppner, State Secretary at the Federal Ministry for Digital and Transport presented the keynote presentation on behalf of Dr. Wissing.