In SVT's series "Downtrodden Land", ten participants were faced with the challenge of coping in a society without electricity. Easy to relate to and easy to understand the difficulties. But how many realize the importance of functioning logistics?
Your phone beeps and it’s a text message from DB Schenker, your new gaming computer is now available for pickup.
That is how most people know us. We are the company with the white trucks, driving parcels to and from the agents. Nothing you think much about really. That is, as long as the gaming computer arrives when it’s supposed to.
It is only if the deliveries stop coming that you really notice us. And it would have far more serious consequences than disappointment due to a delayed computer. The consequences would be so severe that we are one of the most important electricity users in Gothenburg City, we are included in priority class 3 which reads "Electricity users who in the longer term (days) have great importance for life and health".
Everyone is affected
Let’s start from the beginning. Are you at home on the couch? Maybe by the computer in the office? Or do you read this on the bus? Have a look around. Almost everything you encounter, or consume, is transported by truck to its destination. Missing deliveries will affect everyone.
Among those who would suffer most are patients who don’t receive proper medicine and residents who can’t obtain fresh produce themselves, such as school children, patients and pensioners.
Furthermore, construction, industries, production and others are affected if no material is delivered. Some industries production will stop immediately, and it won’t take long until store shelves will be empty of food, electronics or clothing. After only a few days the drinking water becomes undrinkable.
The Swedish Association for Road Transport Companies provides us with some scary facts
The Swedish Association for Road Transport Companies has investigated how transport-sensitive our society is. And the result is quite scary.
- Grocery stores are out on milk and factory-made bread
- Lack of garbage collection is an immediate problem
- The hospitals run out of food and get an immediate shortage of textiles
- You can’t send letters and parcels
- The hospitals can only provide emergency care
- Grocery stores are out on fruits, vegetables and meat
- The food supply in elderly homes can no longer be taken care of
- Garbage from households and restaurants are stacked on the streets
- The pharmacy's inventory is rapidly declining
- No snow removal
- Almost all restaurants must close
- Running out on petrol and diesel all over the country
- Empty shelves at Systembolaget
- The hotels run out of food and textiles
- The lack of food at hospitals and elderly homes are now critical
- Garbage collections are about to become a sanitary nuisance
- The restaurants remove most of the dishes from the menus
- District heating cannot be delivered
- The drinking water becomes undrinkable due to missing supplies of necessary chemicals
- The pharmacies have run out of essential medicines
- Almost no food left in the grocery stores, and large gaps in the rest of the assortment
- Root sludge temporarily stored must now be discharged into our water
Transports are vital
It is crucial for us and our competitors to keep our operation going, without transports the society quickly falls apart.
But to cheer you up after all this negativity, we want you to know that we do our utmost, every day, to deliver everything from gaming computers to socially critical goods.